Studying in the US in 2021 – 2022 is the desire of many students around the world. With the best teaching conditions, a guaranteed life with a high standard of living and many prestigious universities. However, in order to study in the US you need to meet the following conditions.
So what do you need to study in the US? What are the conditions to study in the US? How much does it cost to study in the US?… All these questions will be answered below.
To be eligible to study in the US, you must meet the following requirements:
You must have an offer of I-20 admission from US schools
The I-20 is the letter of admission, also known as the acceptance letter to the school to which you have applied to study abroad. To be able to receive invitations from US schools, you must meet the admission criteria of each school. For high school students, in addition to reviewing transcripts, English certificates, extracurricular activities in the host country, etc., you will also have a face-to-face interview with a representative of the school before being decided whether to receive the I-20 or not. are not.
However, to get an I-20 at top US schools will not be too difficult. According to the writer’s experience, in addition to the qualified documents, the interview round will be the deciding factor to be granted the I-20 admission letter. Therefore, students need to prepare enough information and have a strong and confident mentality to pass the assessment round of the school representative.
The I-20 will be one of the factors that will bring you a travel ticket to the United States. Besides Visa, this is an important document that guarantees your admission in the US. Please note that you must sign before submitting the I-20 to the Consulate for Visa application, your signature has the same meaning as accepting the requirements and rules of the school you are applying to and also is the school’s permission to provide your necessary information to the immigration department.
You must prove your financial ability to study in the US
Going to study in the US is not an easy thing, apart from the paperwork, the requirements of the schools, there is another difficult problem that is finance. This is an important issue to consider over a long period of time. Once you intend to study in the US, first you need to have a detailed plan for the entire study process when studying in the US such as tuition fees, living expenses, books, travel, accommodation. . In addition, the cost of living in different regions also varies.
Overall, the actual average cost for a year of college is $20,000 – $30,000. This total cost is expected to increase by about 5% annually. Those are just the expenses during the period of studying in the US, in addition, before that, each family must ensure proof of income as well as the family’s available assets in the bank or legal storage places. other.
Depending on the tuition rate of each school you are applying to, your financial requirements will vary, but in general, schools require that the balance in your family’s bank account be greater than the tuition and fees. living expenses for 1 to 2 years in the US. This is a mandatory requirement so that they can trust your family’s ability to pay.
In addition, the monthly (or annual, depending on the way) income of your parents or guardians must be within an acceptable limit to be able to guarantee the payment of your tuition fees during the study period. you study in the US. In particular, in Vietnam, the form of small business trading rarely uses books to record income, so proving this finance will face many difficulties. That’s why the advice for those of you who want to study in the US is to pay attention to this property attestation issue and have a specific plan in advance.
You must have obtained the necessary certificates in English
Depending on different schools that have different requirements, usually TOEFL IBT (internet-based test) requires about 70-80 points to be safe or for TOEFL PBT (paper-based test), universities all require The score scale is from 500 to
550. For graduate programs, the score is usually from 550 to 600 There are many universities in the US that recognize IELTS scores, you need IELTS 6.0 to go to university and IELTS 6.5 to study. Masters. Some schools also accept you if you haven’t obtained your degree yet, but it requires you to take the school’s English entrance exam or take an English course organized by the school.
In addition, depending on the requirements of each school and each course, students may have to meet the SAT, GRE, and GMAT scores.
You must complete the required standardized tests
For high school, students do not need to take an entrance exam. Usually, these high schools only require GPA scores of students (GPA>8.0 is quite good) and high scores on English tests such as TOEFL, EILTS, .. will also be an advantage.
For undergraduate and graduate programs, there are the following basic exams:
– GRE: Graduate Record Examination General Test (GRE General Test) GRE scores are required by non-business graduate programs. This test consists of 3 sections: Math, Reading Comprehension and Logical Analysis. This test score is especially important if you plan to apply for a scholarship.
– GRE: Graduate Record Examination Subject Test (GRE Subject Test) Only a few graduate programs require students to take this test and usually only in the student’s major. The exam is available for 16 different disciplines.
– SAT I: Reasoning test Many universities in the US require this test score for both American and international students. This test includes math and reading comprehension sections.
– SAT II: Subject Test Students can choose 1, 2 or 3 subjects from 20 different subjects. Only a few universities require foreign students to take this test.
– TOEFL (Test English As a Foreign Language): a compulsory English test for students whose first language is not English, applicable to both undergraduate and graduate students. The test applies to all skills: listening, grammar, reading comprehension, writing and vocabulary.
– GMAT: Graduate Management Admission Test. Most graduate and doctoral programs in economics require scores on this test for both American and international students. This test tests reading comprehension, math, and analysis and reasoning skills. Because at the university level, there will be higher requirements for students in both foreign language and thinking because they want to make sure that you can absorb the knowledge in the lecture hall.
You must meet the criteria to apply for a student visa to study in the US
– Age 12 years or older
– Academic performance, academic records from Average and above
– Have a continuous study or work process
– Have a bank account
– Have finance to pay tuition, and living expenses.
You can prove that you will return to your home country after completing your studies
U.S. visa law states that Consular Officers are entitled to treat all applicants for a nonimmigrant visa as intending to immigrate until you can convince the Consular Officer that you don’t mean it.
For international students, the US consular officer needs to see that your application for a US student visa is not for a spontaneous reason or for any other reason, but because they want to actually come to the US. America study. And the decision to apply to the US to study this is because they have carefully researched where they plan to go, the program they have enrolled in…
How much money do you need to study abroad?
– Tuition: 3,500 USD-30,000 USD/year
The US state does not issue common standards for tuition fees and therefore tuition fees will be determined by each school. Tuition fees may vary depending on the faculties affiliated to the school; depending on your needs and the subjects you study,…
In the US, usually the tuition fee will be based on the popularity of the school, the higher the school is ranked, the more tuition you have to pay, some schools cost up to 60,000 USD – 70,000 USD. Besides, the tuition fee is also estimated based on the type of school: public school, private school, community college or language school,…
You can refer to the fees below for tuition fees:
– Private school: $15,000 to $30,000 per year.
– Public school: 10,000 USD to 20,000 USD/year
– Community College: 3,500 USD to 12,000 USD/year.
Graduate tuition fees will also depend on the school, department, subject, and several other factors. Some professional programs such as MBA (Master of Business Administration), JD (Juris Doctor-Doctor of Law) or MD (Doctor of Medicine) usually have higher tuition fees compared to other professional programs. with other Master’s and Doctoral programs.
Average tuition fees for Master’s programs:
– Public school: about 28,375 USD/year
– Private school: about 38,665 USD/year
Average tuition fees for PhD programs:
– Public school: 32,966 USD
– Private school: 46,029 USD
When renting a house in a dormitory, you will be “all inclusive” of utilities, maybe even including food. For example, Cornell University has a fee of US$ 9,180 for an academic year, with a single room type including utilities; while Pennsylvania State University students only pay US$2,595/semester for a shared room and US$3,060 for a two-room apartment (shared bathroom).
The cost of outsourcing depends on the type of home and the state in which you will live, as well as the distance the home is from the city center. For example, if you could pay US$1,800/month for a studio apartment in New York, it would only cost about $1,040 in the heart of downtown Colorado.
Each state in the US has its own public transportation system, with different fees. Often the campuses are located far from the city center, so you will have to use these vehicles every day. The cost for travel will range from 300 USD – 700 USD for 1 year. Here are a few small comparisons to give you an idea of this cost:
– Subay or bus for one way in New York: US$2.50
– Unlimited Ride MetroCard for a month in New York (student discount): US$56
– Train, bus or tram tickets in Utah: US$2.50
– 30-day Utah Student Pass: US$62.75
– City Pass for students, for one semester, in Philadelphia: US$327.60